[birdky] E. Kentucky trip

  • From: "Ben Yandell" <by@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:58:17 -0500

Nov. 18.  Common raven(s) at Pine Mountain State Resort Park.  First
sighting was about 10 in the morning near the Laurel Cove Amphitheater.  Low
flyover with a crow following.  Second sighting was about 4 in the
afternoon.  Several streaming turkey vultures with a few red-tailed hawks
mixed in; then a red-shouldered hawk and a raven.  I don't believe the raven
flapped once the entire time it was in our view.  The 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
observations may well have been two different birds.

No other noteworthy birds observed, including no pine siskin or ruffed
grouse.

Also took a brief trip to Cumberland Gap today.  An out-of-range Brainard
was the most notable sighting.

On the way home, saw a lone snow goose (blue form) flying over I-75 mm 53
and 5 sandhill cranes around 2 p.m. near Shelbyville, I-64 mm 35.

Ben Yandell
Mary Yandell
Louisville