[birdky] Directions to N. KY Scoter/Snow Buntings

  • From: FrankRenfrow@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:38:08 EST

I made two stops at the Yacht Club today, first at 11 AM, heard the buntings
flying in the distance but didn't see them. Bill Zimmerman was there at 4:00
and saw 6 Snow Buntings but they were scared off by an accipiter shortly before
I arrived at 5 PM. The Black Scoter was still at Mike Fink's. Over the
fortnight that it has been here, its behavior has evolved from very skittish to
ridiculously tame. Today it was hanging out with the Mallards waiting for
handouts
from the restaurant-goers. In addition,there was a pair of Buffleheads on the
Taylor Park side. I awoke this morning to find an American Tree Sparrow at my
feederin Bellevue, may be the first one I have had at the feeder since the
previous Snow Bunting January of '99.
I received several requests for directions to the Watertown Yacht Club in
Dayton, KY and the Covington Riverfront. Here they are from Lexington (and
Louisville) and from Maysville:
From Lexington:
 From Lexington take I-75 N all the way in to N. KY. Take the Covington 5th
St exit (the last exit before the Ohio R.). This puts you east on 5th St (also
KY 8). Take 5th  all the way till it dead ends then turn left at Garrard. Take
Garrard (N.) about 4 blocks, it will dead end onto Riverside Dr., turn right
and park about 1/2 block up. The Scoter has been staying very close to the
shoreline right at this spot. If it is not there, you might want to scan to the
East across the mouth of the Licking as the scoter has been over there as well.
    To reach the Yacht Club from here, go back up Garrard turn left on 4th St
(also KY 8). Follow the signs for KY 8 East all the way through Newport and
Bellevue. Turn left on O'Fallon Ave, which then swings right (becomes Dodd) and
runs along the river East, park at the athletic field about 2 miles up on
left the feed is just up ahead at edge of brushy area on left.

    To get to the Yacht Club directly, take I-75 N from Lexington, to I-275
East (after Florence), to I-471 North (exit on left) and take the KY 8 exit
(just before the OH R. Bridge)
turn right on KY 8 East go through Bellevue, then left on O'Fallon.

   .
From Maysville:

From Maysville you could take the AA Hwy to US 27 north (just n. of
Alexandria), go north about a mile or so then right on 1998, and left on KY 8
where
1998 dead ends. Take KY 8 northwest along the river till you come to the town
of
Dayton  turn right (ithink it says Dodd Dr.) just before you go through the
floodwall gates and the Yacht club is right there. probably best to park in the
Yacht Club's lower parking area or drive past the Yacht Club you will see the
feed just as the brushy area starts to your right.

Frank Renfrow
Bellevue, KY