[birdky] Dead Swainson's Thrush CSI (not for the squeamish)

  • From: Jim Seelhorst <jaseelhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 20:01:20 -0400

I found a dead Swainson's Thrush this evening lying outside my backdoor and
below a second floor window.  My first thought was a widow strike.  I checked
both windows, to see which was the cause, but there were none of the typical
telltale marks that indicate a strike, which I can always find present.  Upon
examining the bird closer, I saw that it had been dead for a while, and the
belly and neck (up one side to the eye socket) were both opened with quite a
bit of dried blood on the feathers of the underside of the bird.  The belly
appeared to have been possibly eaten on.  There was not simply a broken neck
and the occassional few drops of blood coming from a beak, as with any other
window strike I've seen.   I suspect a hawk killed it because of the neck and
head wound which seemed to indicate a beak, but I didn't think they would eat
just the belly.  Maybe a cat is the culprit.  Any thoughts as to which, or some
other critter, that may be responsible? Jim SeelhorstSt. Matthews