[birdky] Dams and Fulton 22 April 2009

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

Highlights from a trip with David Brown are listed below.  The Long Point Unit
of Reelfoot hosted most of the shorebirds and the Lower Hickman Bottoms are
relatively dry.  The upper bottoms are flooded.

BARKLEY DAM
Lesser Scaup
Am White Pelican
Red-breasted Merganser
Great Egret
Cattle Egret (adjacent field)
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Ring-billed, Herring, and Bonaparte's Gulls
Caspian and Forster's Terns

KENTUCKY DAM
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Duck
Common Goldeneye
Common Loon
Lesser Black-backed Gull (2)
Glaucous Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Fish Crow

FULTON COUNTY/LOWER HICKMAN BOTTOMS
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Both Teal
No Shoveler
Hooded Merganser
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Bald Eagle (15+ w/adult and 2 chicks on Lake 9 nest)
Red-tailed Hawk (juv Krider's)
Semipalmated Plover
Black-necked Stilt (3 Phillippy Pits, Tn)
Both Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Dunlin
Long-billed Dowitcher (14)
Wilson's Phalarope (2)
Fish Crow (many scattered)

We encountered a kettle of crows thermal soaring high over the Purchase Parkway
which we deemed as Fish.  Fish Crows regularly thermal soar whereas I have
never seen American Crows engage in sustained thermal soaring.

Other nice birds and spring arrivals encountered along the way:
Northern Bobwhite
Red-shouldered Hawk
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Barred Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird
Loggerhead Shrike
White-eyed, Yellow-throated, Warbling, and Red-eyed Vireos
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
No Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler (gorgeous males)
Yellow-throated