[birdky] Coyote, Short-eared Owl

  • From: "lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:43:36 -0600

Late this afternoon, while walking along the margin of a woods up hill and
continuous with our own woods, we met a Coyote coming from the other way. The
Coyote took off down a grassy strip separating a corn stubblefield from a bean
stubblefield. After about a quarter mile it headed across the corn
stubblefield. In crossing the corn stubblefield it passed near a small sinkhole
containing a few small bushes. As it passed the small sinkhole it startled up a
large long-winged raptor which almost immediately settled back down just
beneath our horizon line. My first thought was Harrier.  We walked the length
of the corn field margin, then cut over to the sinkhole, flushing a Short-eared
Owl. It soared back and forth low over the corn field for a minute or so,
showing off its relatively extra long wings, short tail and Harrier-like flight
before dropping behind a hill. This is a life bird for me.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County, KY