[birdky] Bobolinks

  • From: "Bryant, Rhonda" <rbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:10:49 -0400

We went by Stringtown Sunday and found a good number of Bobolinks. It was
impossible to get a count with them moving a portion at a time just above the
grass, but there was easily 60 and maybe 80. I saw none else where; all in one
flock. They were all in alternate plumage, but varied in color from the
yellower juvenile plumage to what looked more like the lighter female breeding
plumage. There was one bird that I only got a glimpse at that was blackish all
over, but it may have been a different species all together. It was an
exceptional picture with the chicory blooming and butterflies everywhere, and
the Bobolinks "bwinking". We also saw 3 Grasshopper Sparrows, but no Dickcissel.

Monday we visited the Falls of the Ohio with my sister Julie and her husband
Jimmie. We spotted 1 Buff-breasted sandpiper, Matt's American White Pelican,
and Robert Dever who showed us around. Thanks.

Also noted over the weekend were a number of small groups of nighthawks from
Harrison Co. to Fayette Co. And the apparent purposeful destruction of the
Martin roost here in Lexington, but they would have been moving on before long
anyway. Sure was fun while it lasted.

Scott Marsh
Lexington, KY