[birdky] Re: Black Vultures

  • From: Mark Monroe <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:38:04 -0500

Steve and all,

Insects definitely help the hummers, particularly those in molt, but
they should be able to survive stretches just on sugar water.  The
three scenarios that worry me most are long stretches of cold (week or
more) where it never breaks freezing, extreme cold (when nighttime
temps dip near zero), and icing events overnight.  However, we have
had multiple Rufous make it through a whole winter, so we can just
cross our fingers that the weather works out or the birds decide to
move out when it gets bad and find a suitable place to the south.

And I know we've been negligent in updating hummingbird reports,
mainly because we still have one Selasphorus that doesn't seem to want
to be caught and identified.  However, 5 other Rufous have been
confirmed, and I believe all are still present at their respective
feeders.  There have been no reports of Ruby-throats for 3 weeks.
Tennessee still has at least 3 species of hummingbirds present,
including a confirmed Allen's this week, so we definitely want to know
of any other hummingbirds that are still around.

Mark

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY
Hummer/Bird Study Group