[birdky] Barren Mew Gull 20 October 2010

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

A few birders spent part of the morning searching for the Mew Gull and found it
loafing with other gulls on an exposed gravel point downstream from the Narrows
marina.  A Bonaparte's Gull was also present along with Ring-billeds.  While we
were watching the gulls a small flock of ducks dropped in with 3-4 Northern
Shovelers, a Northern Pintail and a couple of Green-winged Teal.  We also had a
fly-over calling Pine Siskin at the Narrows and a couple of Red-breasted
Nuthatches at the state park.

The point where the gulls were loafing is not visible from the parking lot due
to a small island.  By walking up the hill to the left of the parking lot one
can look down the lake toward the west and see the distant point where the
gulls were.  The Mew Gull should be present late in the evenings in the roost
viewed from the Bailey's Point campground as long as it remains at Barren.

David Roemer
Bowling Green