[birdky] Barn Swallows

  • From: GarJn@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:11:07 EDT

My husband, and now our neighbors are wondering what has happened to the Barn
Swallows that used to be so common in our area.

My husband noticed that there were none following him, looking for insects,
as he mowed the fields this year, as they always had in the past. Then
yesterday, a neighbor asked me if I thought English Sparrows or her cat could
have
caused the lack of swallows in the last two years. I told her I didn't think
either of those could have caused a Barn Swallow decline.

Could anyone please tell us why we are not seeing the Barn Swallow?

Other neighbors have not gotten the Martins they usually had, but we put up a
house last year and had a few, then more this year. However, we doubt if we
got the Martins from our neighbor three miles away. Anyway, we only have about
6 pairs.

We have many Tree Swallows now. They are taking over our seven bluebird
boxes. Bluebirds have only nested in two this year.

We do have many Quail this year for the first time in many years. A male came
up on the porch last week, staying about fifteen minutes right by the door.
Then he went into the garage one evening. He stays close to the house, but we
have a lot of cover, because we don't mow around everything and my flower bed
is thick with cover.

Thanks for any answers you can give.

Judy Arnold
Western Shelby County