[birdky] Backyard Bird Nests

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 21:46:43 -0500

I am excited by the diversity of birds nesting on my 0.75 acres this
spring.  Confirmed nesters include song sparrows, chipping sparrows,
bluebirds, tree swallows, purple martins, and robins.  Unconfirmed but
very likely nesters include orchard oriole (female carrying nesting
material into the pear tree), yellow warbler (birds often observed in
the somewhat unkempt grape arbor), and starling.  My wife prunes the
grapes to improve the grape harvest but I prefer to let the grapes
become a jungle just because of the excellent habitat provided for
birds.  The mockingbirds nested in the grape arbor every year until she
started pruning the darn things.  I need to set up a wild grape arbor
specifically for the birds.  No pruning necessary.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County