[birdky] BKY: Little Lick +

  • From: "Roseanna" <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BirdKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:34:31 -0400

I birded Little Lick in the Daniel Boone NF today, between rain showers.
A Yellow-billed Cuckoo flew in to a tree near one of the stops I made.
It was carrying food, so I watched to see where it would go. It,
finally, flew into a multiflora rose and fed a young "brancher". The
young cuckoo had almost no tail and the wings weren't fully grown, yet.
What a cutie!

I stopped by a clear cut that had grown up a good bit along Hwy 1003 and
was overwhelmed with the many singing Prairie Warblers, White-eyed
Vireos, Indigo Buntings, Field Sparrows and displaying Yellow-breasted
Chats (neat birds! They put so much effort into it.). While walking the
logging road an American Woodcock flushed up in front of me.

Some of the birds seen at Little Lick:

Broad-winged Hawk
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo