[birdky] BKY: Finch conjunctivitis and Cedar Waxwings

  • From: Sid Easley <Sid.Easley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 19:25:30 -0500

A male and female House Finch with symptoms of conjunctivitis in my
yard.   It is sad to see them attempt to find the feeder or the bird bath.
I remember when they were ever present, and we wished they would go
away.  The Purple Finch  is certainly on the wane in our part of the state,
and we surmise  it was impacted by the House Finch. Is the Gold Finch
is  next?
       Species take a long time to evolve, and perhaps these two will
eventually  survive into another species, who knows what?
       Meanwhile, I have had a very healthy and hungry flock of Cedar
Waxwings (15-25) in my yard for two weeks feeding on a service berry tree.
These berries are delicious and taste like blueberries.
       Melissa Easley
       Murray, Ky.

P.S.  I  use peroxide solution frequently in bird feeders and baths to
prevent the spread of conjunctivitis.