[birdky] Ash Pond (mercer county) and other info

  • From: "Edmund Richards" <edkiernan3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 05:43:21 -0400

Saturday Aug 31

On my first full day back in Ky I took the time to see what Brown Power
Plant had to offer.

The following birds were seen:
5 Great Egrets
3 Great Blue Heron
Killdeer (tons of them)
1 Solitary Sandpiper
1 Spotted Sandpiper
7 Least Sandpiper
2 Semipalmated Sandpiper
2 D.C. Cormorants

While in Pa for a month I managed to add 3 lifers to my list. I missed a
Snowy Plover that was at the site I had the lifers because I didn't check my
emails for ONE DAY and as Murphey's Law would have it it was only there for
one day. The Snowy Plover found by a birding friend of mine was the third
one ever seen in PA since the late 1800's (one was found dead). I made a few
trips to view Short Eared Owls and as usual they and the Harriers didn't let
me down. They are comical when they are out at the same time.

New Lifers..
Red Neck Phalarope that I found in Imperial PA and from what I understand is
the first documented one for SW PA.

Common Raven from the same site as the Phalarope. It had been see a few
times there. It is believed that it is going to a nearby landfill to feed.

Roseate Spoonbill, Rocky Fork State Park Ohio

Take care,
Ed Richards
Danville, Ky (Boyle County)