[birdky] Arboretum bird walk - orange scarlet tanager

  • From: "Roberta Burnes" <rburnes@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 15:54:01 -0400

Today's bird walk at The Arboretum yielded a delightful assortment of birds
with some special highlights.  Truly a delightful morning.

Vireos: White-eyed, red-eyed, bell's
Wood thrush and some other non-descript thrush
Gray catbird
Brown thrasher
Mockingbird
Ruby-crowned kinglet
White-breasted nuthatch
Tree swallow
Carolina chickadee
Blue jay
Least flycatcher
Great-crested flycatcher
Red-bellied woodpecker
Ruby-throated hummingbird
Warblers:
- Magnolia
- Black-throated green
- Black-throated blue
- Chestnut-sided
- Bay-breasted
- Tennessee
Baltimore oriole
Indigo bunting
Goldfinch
House finch
Other usual suspects like grackles, starlings, etc.

The BEST bird of the day was a stunning ORANGE scarlet tanager!  We were all
confused at first -- its color was truly Baltimore-oriole-orange, but the
markings were unmistakably scarlet tanager.  Peterson's lists it as an
"orange variant", a description that doesn't do it justice.  I was doubly
delighted that I didn't have to crane my neck to see it -- I'm still
suffering from the scarlet tanager I saw on Saturday, and my neck is in
awful shape!  They are so beautiful I can't resist, even when they're
practically overhead!

I will be out here one more Tuesday this month -- next week, at 8 a.m.  Also
on Saturday morning, May 19 at 9 a.m.   Please join us!  We start at the
Visitor Center at the Arboretum, 500 Alumni Drive in Lexington.

Roberta Burnes
Lexington, KY
Fayette County