[birdky] American Woodcock

  • From: "Millie" <kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <Birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 14:28:56 -0400

A friend brought me a photo of a bird that appeared on his deck, right after
the Early March snow storm in Louisville. It is a poor photo, but using both
Sibleys and National Geographic Field Guides, I am sure it is an American
Woodcock (I would post a scan, but my scanner is kaput).  This was taken in the
subdivision across from Big Springs CC on Dutchman's Lane, a heavily populated
area and near the Watterson X-way.  Can someone explain how this bird came to
be in that area at that time of year?

Millie Farmer
St. Matthews, KY