[birdky] Re: ANNCT: Kentucky Afield TV Show to include American Woodcock research project

  • From: John Brunjes <john.brunjes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:15:07 -0400

Hello Everyone:

I appreciate Brainard posting this.  In spite of all my efforts to pay
off the KY Afield staff to completely edit me out of the video, I'm
afraid it is going forward and will be on this weekend.

I just wanted to respond to everyone with a question that has been
asked a few times.  The promo makes it sound like we aren't sure if
woodcock are nesting here.  We do know that woodcock nest here.  There
are lots of published reports and annecdotal information from birders
and our staff.  In March prescribed burns, it is not uncommon to have
numerous female woodcock flushing in front of the fire. Presubably
they were on nests.  Our real interest is getting a better grasp on
the breeding ecology of woodcock while in KY.  Places where we have
found nests, differs greatly from those described in the literature
from points north (Michigan and Maine).  Hopefully what we learn will
allow us to make better management decisions for woodcock in the
future.

John Brunjes
Wildlife Biologist
KDFWR