[birdky] 2 Sabine's GULLS

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 21:10:25 EDT

Dave, Ken & Betty Leggett and myself conducted the shorebird count in Fulton
County today.  Lake #9 has good habitat but the number of shorebirds was
disappointing.  We headed to KY Bend where we split up for better coverage.
Once again the habitat was OK but the birds were disappointing.  We ended the
count with only 9 species of shorebirds.  The highlight was a calling Upland
Sandpiper at KY Bend.
Dave and I decided to end our day on KY Dam watching the gulls.  Things
started off well with a Common Merganser offering me a lesson in
identification.  Next bird in the scope was a small gull sitting on the
water.  BINGO a Sabine's Gull.  It took to the air and Dave and I both ahhhed
at the sight of the beautiful markings on this young bird.  We watched it in
the air for sometime until it came to rest.  Dave called out there was a
Second Sabine's in flight.  What a way to end a Great DAY!
Hap
Murray, KY