[ask] Re: swifts

  • From: Judy Lundquist <jlq.sci@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:54:31 -0400

We live in a neighborhood in Lexington that is frequented by coops, they have nested in big trees on our street several times, and our experiences have not been that different from yours. They do seem to totally focus on prey and are pretty unconcerned about our presence. I have had one pick a finch off the deck about 5 feet in front of where I was sitting at a table. They often hunt the deck where we have feeders and sometimes just perch on top (on this deck 8' off the floor) and hang out for a while. Needless to say the songbirds make themselves scarce.

My husband was sitting at the same table recently when a coop came from behind him, barely missing a dove on the deck. The coop executed a breathtakingly quick hairpin turn, flew directly at George, and did not put on the brakes until it reached the edge of the table umbrella. With another even more breathtaking turn, it went to the top of the deck rail and just puttered for a while, master of all it saw. George was still trying to get his breath back.

Judy Lundquist
Lexington