Beara Garden Club List Message - outing to Derrynane on Tuesday 17th July

  • From: bgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Garden Club New <bgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 16:53:18 +0100

Dear all,

We have decided to visit Derrynane, the home of Daniel O'Connell, near Caherdaniel on the ring of Kerry on Tuesday next, 17th July. I suggest we meet in Ardgroom about 9.50 and leave  at 10.00 am, having sorted out car sharing. I would expect to arrive in Derrynane shortly after 12. There is a cafe in the grounds, so we could have some lunch straight away,  if possible before all the crowds arrive, and then visit the place. The house is open for guided tours, about an hour long, I believe, which are very interesting, and cost 5 euros. However, I shall walk around the grounds, because I feel there is a lot of interest there. The Office of Public works has done a lot of work both on the house and in the grounds, which are extensive, comprising 120 acres along the shoreline and containing important oak woods an Abbey and an island, accessible usually on foot. The area isone  of special ecological as well as historical interest, and is the home of the only Irish toad, the Natterjack toad, as well as the Kerry Lily. However, feel free to take the tour of the house, which is of importance in Ireland's history, and later stroll around the grounds. You can have an online tour ofboth house and grounds by looking up Derrynane House on the web, so you have an idea of what would interest you.

In Caherdaniel itself is, I am told, a lovely little tea shop with delicious cakes, where we could have afternoon tea before starting the return journey. I imagine we would be home by 6 or 7 pm. Of course, not all the cars have to travel home together. Some might go earlier, or indeed later or via somewhere else, as suits.

Feel free to offer other ideas.

I know Christine and George are coming with the grandchildren. And Paul and I will go.  Any other takers?

Charmian