[bestwayfarms] Unexpected Intentional Community Layout

  • From: "Kim Cooper" <coop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bestwayfarms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:55:12 -0400

Hi Folks:

I've shared with some of you that Jean and I stayed on a Christian Mission in Alaska. No, we're not part of the missionary or anything, but an old friend is, so he got us this place. What we had no clue of before we went is that this mission is really an intentional community in all regards. In fact, two of the houses are rented to non-Christian Missionary peolple just for the income!!!! And frankly they got the money for our place just for more income for the mission.

But, it was truely peaceful in every respect. All houses had only 1 postal address, so the mail had to be sorted. All houses are 'owned' by the 'intentional community' and rented. They have central 'sewage' and central water. Amaziing that the well water was centrally softened. "Hey Culligan Man."

The duplex we stayed in was amazingly comfortable and we both felt we could live in the one bedroom duplex for two or three years in total peace. They DID NOT LOCK any of the doors anywhere. Wow! They said they've never needed to. We didn't even have a key. They also own a farm that people get payed to harvest. I don't know a lot abou the farm, but will learn more.

I've included a layout of the mission. IN our case the central offices would be a community center. It sort of is for them too. The outside of all buildings looked like a German Prisoner of War Camp - but the inside of every single building we were in, was all very modern. The central office had all modern facilities including a very nice cafeteria etc.

Don't be fulled by the size of the drawings. The barn is a full sized barn in every respect - except only one floor. Each house has their own storage bin in the barn, about the size of a garage. This is for when they go to other countries on a mission. They move into the storage barn. Even when they come back they can continue to use their locked compartment. There are tractors etc in the barn also.

The offices are also larger than they look, and the convention center seems inflated on the drawing. Don't know.

Yes - there is a runway and an airplane and you have to stop your car and look both ways for take offs and landings on the grass strip, which will probably be all snow within a month or two.

Kim & Jean
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kip and Beth Gardner" <kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>