[bestwayfarms] Community Vision - Beth Gardner

  • From: Kip and Beth Gardner <kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Betterway Core Group:;
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:50:16 -0400

Dear All,
As stated in the email I sent after our meeting last week, the group present all agreed that to move forward we need everyone to do some homework and state our own individual visions of community. I expect that none of our visions will be identical but that there will be overlap and we can work from that starting point. The task was to identify the things that this community we are planning would have to have for each of us to continue and increase our energy and investment in making happen. Here is mine. I am sure there will be things some people like /agree with and thing others some will dislike, but this is my personal vision (and includes some of my own personal hopes and dreams.)

These ended up being my areas of focus. I will list them then expand upon them.
1.Intergenerational
2. Intentional
3. Ecologically preservative and restorative
4. Sustainable
5. Diverse
6. Affordable

1. Intergenerational
At all stages of my life I want to be around people of different ages, as well as other families at similar ages/stages to our family. I very much want Kip's and my daughter to grow up with peers, learning to form community skills with other children as well as adults. Someday I hope to be the old woman on the porch with my banjo or guitar teaching the children the old mountain songs and song-games. I want a place where we can raise our children and care for our elders as they age. I want our elders to be appreciated for their gifts and wisdom and incorporated into the life of the community. Likewise, I hope to be able to age in community, sharing my gifts and living as well and as long as I'm able within the community.

2. Intentional
I want a community where people are intentional about how we live together. Decision-making models that offer equal voice to all community members that works towards the best decisions for the community as a whole. I do not want to see decisions overly weighted by power-differentials between members.

3. Ecologically preservative/ restorative practices
I want to utilize practices that retain and/or restore health to the land. To me this means balancing human (resident) needs with the health of the land, striving whenever possible to make them complimentary (i.e. composting toilets, natural gray-water systems.) The utilization of building and agricultural practices that don't cause unnecessary harm to the environment. I want us to design and preserve natural spaces (woods, waterways) for recreational use and ecological balance.

4. Sustainable
I want to minimize our dependence on outside inputs and infrastructures, particularly reducing our dependence on "the grid" and fossil fuels. Separate but complimentary strategies for this include being located close enough to a town or small city that we can walk or bicycle into town for cultural events, necessary supplies, work opportunities and medical care while developing our own food supply, income-generating opportunities and social experiences where we live. The group structure also needs to be self-sustaining so that when individuals or families leave that others can come in to join our community.

5. Diverse
I hope for diversity of members in ages, life experiences, lifestyles, professions, religious practices, and cultures. I want a place where we can respect and celebrate eachother's differences and where people of differing economic means, skill sets and physical limitations can be active and equal members of the community.

6. Affordability
I want us to choose land and a design that allows people of varied economic means to live within those means while we meet the financial commitments and needs of the community.

Other factors:

*Owner designed (with option for owner built) homes. We recognize that zoning is a key factor to keep in mind here.

* Community design that encourages social interaction, shared tasks and shared meals.

* Community building. Initially I'd be happy with not much more than an insulated pole barn with kitchen facilities, laundry facilities and a large gathering space. I would love to see it evolve to include designated crafting/tooling/etc spaces. I would like guest spaces to be available, be it part of the community building or small separate structures (such as small one-room strawbale cabins).

Thes are some of my thoughst. I am open to dialogue and look forward to seeing your visions. If someone would please let me know that this arrived through email I'd appreciate it. Sometimes I wonder if my mail has been lost in cyberspace and I want to make sure this gets out. I plan for us to discuss all the visions with their similarities and differences at our next meeting (next Sunday, June 8th.) Please RSVP.
Thanks.
Peace, Beth Gardner

--

North Canton, OH