[bestwayfarms] Re: Betterway meeting?

  • From: Kip Gardner <kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bestwayfarms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:17:51 -0400

Dear Jean and Kim,

    Greetings! Lots to reply to...

Keep fighting that basil going to seed! Cut off the seedheads everytime you see them even starting! I'm still not entirely sure what PHO is (please fill me in sometime.)

Mansfield is probably a fine area but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to go that far. I know I'm not as flexible on this as people might like, but I have had to build my business up from nothing twice (starting 10 years ago in Virginia, then starting 5 years ago here.) It takes a long time, I'm happy with my current positions and, importantly, I'm going to need to maintain this level of income for some time for us (Kip and I) to be able to afford land and a home. But it never hurts to be looking at land and compairing, looking at land features, etc.

Thanks for the conference call offer. I've never done conference calls. If there's a specific subject it would make sense for I'd be willing to give it a try, but one thing I know about myself is that I'm not a great phone communicator. I feel that seeing faces and/or having time to structure thoughts, such as in an email, is helpful to me. But I would be willing to try it. What is electronic whiteboarding?

I think it's interesting that you've found people have so much resistance to doing something like this with people they don't know. I'd be interested to know how they get to know people. I feel like we are beginning to "know" you and Jean, Lee, Sarena, Jean A., and I feel that common interest in community living is a better determiner of success than necessarily a common interest or previous friendship.

The only way we are going to be able figure out what this might cost is by us all doing some serious homework, perhaps invite Chris Fox, a local strawbale/timber designer/builder, or someone else to talk to us about bare essentials where land development is concerned (costs for installing driveways, septic, wells, etc.) We even guess until we know some of those costs. Then each family can add in their own construction costs and we can think about how much land we need and can afford. There is a lot to do.

A lot went on at Twin Oaks, some relevant to our process and some not. I'll try to boil it down sometime.

    Let's see what responses we get from other. Thanks for the reply.

Peace, Beth

On Sep 3, 2007, at 12:21 AM, Kim Cooper wrote:

Wow, what a great message.

Jean and I have been looking at farms circuitous to Mansifield. There are a whole lot for sale. Some of them individual and some of them OK for a group.l

I am very sorry I missed the recent tour of the Twin Oaks community tour. I've heard some about it, especially regarding the camping facilities. If for no other reason, this will be a very memorable event in your lifetimes.

My basil is doing very well, still growing - no puree yet. I'm going to keep it alive longer even though it is trying to go to seed on me! I love fresh Basil in Vietnamese PHO (Not normall a vegetarian dish, although I've had varieties that are vegetarian).

Mansfield, itself, is 33.68 miles from Wooster Center.

I can set up FREE conference calls for all of us (limit 96 callers) to foster meetings closer together if there is an agenda and or a speaker. Downside is the number is long distance, but with 2 cents per minute ($1.60 per hour) it seems acceptable versus driving - in regards to efficiency.

One question we have come up with is - trigger number.

An example - would we pull the trigger if Land and humble starter cottage were $80,000. - - - Probably

If Land and Cottage were $150,000  - - - - - maybe.

Is this off base?

I think I'd want to personally 'manage' about 5 acres (that doesn't mean managing by myself). At $8,000 per acre, that's $40,000. Throw a Katrina Cottage on for another $40,000 and hope for some electricity, water and waste treatment - this is agressive.

What are the parameters of decisive action? You folks all went through this exercise before and some made decisions, and some did not.

It will be a lifestyle change for all of us - probably for the better.

But two decision criteria have not been dilineated - by us as a group.

*Codification of an agreement, or even a semblance of a fuzzy mission statement.
  *Parameters of Investment (how much money?)

Would anyone be interested in e-mailing proposals on this, or electronically whiteboarding, or a conference call prior to our next meeting?

I've discussed this with MANY people and EVERYONE has the same issue. EVERYONE who I talk to that want to do this are not interested in our meetings because they only want to do this with people they know.

Quite an interesting conundrum.

What did the Twin Oaks folks say? How about reviewing Twin Oaks learning on a conference call?

I hope this didn't read negative, but e-mail is horrible in portraying words that need to be later recanted and explained - - - not tone or facial expression. However, e-mail is very quick to reveal truths.

Kim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kip Gardner" <kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>