[bcbirdclub] birding our yard

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 00:00:37 -0400

I had an hour in the morning & another hour in the afternoon to see what I
could find around our place. Turned up some good birds! The morning was a time
for a lot of the usual plus 100+ Cedar Waxwings( spending as much time hawking
insects as eating cherries), several Ruby-throated Hummingbirds & a White-eyed
Vireo. The afternoon was more productive with
Chestnut-sided,Blackburnian,Magnolia &Yellow-throated Warblers gleaning insects
from the branches of the several Walnut trees around the yard. A male Scarlet
Tanager joined the Waxwings& Mourning Doves in the Cherry trees while overhead
30+ Nighthawks & 100+ Chimney Swifts made their way toward Pine Mountain &
points south. The day's highlight was the passing over of an adult Golden Eagle
flying, surprisingly, toward the Northwest. Went out in the backyard just
before posting this and heard both Barred & Screech Owls calling nearby. Total
number of species for the day is 40. Dave R/Breaks VA