[bcbirdclub] Re: Waterfowl - Russell County

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:37:54 -0500

David Raines,
We also had a female Purple Finch and a male Red-winged Blackbird at our feeder yesterday and a Fox Sparrow today. As David and I have discussed before, even though we are on opposite sides of the county we often get new species at about the same time. I hadn't seen a Red-wing for a few weeks until yesterday. The pair of resident Red-shouldered Hawks are making themselves visible now. I haven't seen any courtship displays yet, but as they do every year, they are often seen gliding across the yard or sitting in trees nearby. One came gliding across the front yard a couple of days ago about 5 feet off the ground with the sun shining on its bright, reddish-brown breast. As it passed it was only about 30 feet away, but unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me at that moment.

Thanks to Tom Hunter and David Raines for keeping us updated as to the birds in their areas. Thanks also to David Garcia for the Wood Duck video link. With two Davids on the list we may have to address one of you as David G and the other as David R.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>