[bcbirdclub] Re: Warbler Day Celebration - Compton Mt - photos

  • From: "Daniel Kendrick" <kendridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 06:29:38 -0400

Roger and Lynda,
Thanks again for your hospitality and for the invite. Dan

From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Warbler Day Celebration - Compton Mt - photos
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:21:22 -0400

Hi All,
It was a beautiful, crisp fall day here on Compton Mt on Saturday, September 15th, as birders started arriving at our place a little after 7:00 a.m. Thirty-one of the 46 birders scheduled to come, came to participate in our annual Warbler Day, some from as far away as Virginia Beach, and Cincinnati, OH. Even though we didn't have the usual large numbers of individual species, we counted 15 warbler species with 60 species in all for the day.

Groups gathered in the front and backyards to watch, as the birds were constantly on the move in the trees and shrubs, and in our small yard stream. Later, birders were taken on walks around the property and through the surrounding woods, where Swainson's Thrushes seemed to be the abundant thrush species. They were busy feeding on Virginia Creeper and Polk berries.

Some birders got their first good looks at male Redstarts, Prairie Warblers and Cape May Warblers. The first Red-breasted Nuthatch to be found on the property for a few years was first heard, then observed.

Add in great camaraderie, all of the good food, some prepared by my wife, Lynda, and some brought by visitors, and you had the makings of a great day of birding. Here is a link to photos of the day's activities, as well as to some of the birds observed.

http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/migration_7

Following also is a complete list of the birds found throughout the day.

Buchanan County

 60 Species

American Crow 3

American Goldfinch 5m