[bcbirdclub] Upcoming BCBC Outing to Hinton, WV

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:57:52 -0400

Hi Everyone,
On Saturday, October 24, members of the Buchanan County Bird Club will make a
day trip to the Bluestone Dam and surrounding area to look for eagles,
waterfowl and other migrants. We will meet that morning at 7:15 at the Wal-Mart
parking lot at Claypool Hill. We will then caravan east on Rte 460 to
Princeton, WV where we will turn north onto Rte 20 toward Pipestem state Park
then on to Hinton. We should arrive at the dam around 9:00.
The dam is located at the point where the Bluestone River flows into the New
River.

We will first bird the area around the dam including Bellepoint Park. We will
eat lunch at the Dairy Queen in Hinton, which is a treat because the restaurant
juts out over the river and Bald Eagles and waterfowl are often seen from the
glassed in dining area.

After dinner we will travel a few miles along the New River to Sandstone Falls,
birding as we go. The falls are another nice point on the trip and make the
trip more enjoyable.

Come join us and enjoy the day with us. Hopefully, some members of the
Bluefield Bibbee Nature club will join us as they have in the past.
If you have them, bring your small hand-held radios so we can keep in touch
with each other as we caravan along the New River. Be sure to dress warmly and
bring a jacket. The wind from the lake and the river can often be quite cool.

Meetings and outings of the Buchanan County Bird Club are open to anyone who
would like to join us.

Buchanan County