[bcbirdclub] Timberdoodle

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:23:07 -0400

Hi All,
Today, while Lynda and I were having lunch with Fred and Janice Martin and Dave
Worley at the Peking Restaurant in Grundy, we ran into one of Lynda's former
students. The young lady was asking about the bird club, and she told us of
seeing a "Timberdoodle" (her word choice) or American Woodcock about a week ago
at the mouth of Poplar Creek west of Grundy. She said the bird was doing its
customary forward and back bobbing motion as it crossed the road.
It might be interesting to check out that area to see if there is a singing
area there where the male Woodcocks do their mating flights in an attempt to
attract a mate.

By the way, for those who don't know, Timberdoodle is one of the many names
used for Woodcock. Some of the others listed in the National Audubon Society
Encyclopedia of North American Birds are:

Big Eyes, Big Headed Snipe, Big Mud Snipe, Blind Snipe, Bog Bird, Bog Borer,
Bog Sucker, Hookum Pake, Labrador Twister, Night Partridge, Siphon Snipe,
Whistler, Whistling Snipe and Wood Hen, though Wood Hen in this area usually
refers to the Pileated Woodpecker.

From what I could find Hookum Pake was or is a name for Woodcock used in
Maryland. I couldn't find the origin of the word.
For those who have never seen a Timberdoodle a photo is attached.