[bcbirdclub] The Curlew is Still Hanging Around

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 09:33:04 -0500

Hi All,
Yesterday, about a half an hour before dark,  Ed Bailey, the owner of the field
where the curlew has been seen, saw the bird lift from the field and fly up the
valley out of sight. He thought the bird might be leaving the area, but he also
said that the bird disappears about that time each evening, so he wasn't sure
exactly what was happening.

This morning he and David Raines, went out to see if it was around. They
couldn't find it, but while they were on the phone to me about 8:30, they heard
it call and saw it come flying back into the field.
We think the bird may be going to a nearby farm pond that has some thick plants
around it to spend the night.

So anyone heading that way today should have a good chance of seeing it. I have
been on the phone this morning with a couple from Pittsburgh, PA, who are on
their way down to see it. I also received several e-mails yesterday asking for
directions. Apparently several birders want to come down during the week-end to
see it.

Roger Mayhorn
Buchanan County