[bcbirdclub] Tanager

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 14:08:13 -0400

This tanager came down to the yard stream today. My first impression was that
it was a Summer Tanager because of the coloring, but then I saw the relatively
small bill size. I still think it's a Summer Tanager but I think it may be a
Hatch Year bird, and that might explain the smaller bill. I would welcome any
comments and opinions. From what I could find on the internet the Smithsonian
has only 2 examples of Scarlet Tanager - Summer Tanager hybridization so the
possibility of that seems extremely unlikely.

JPEG image

JPEG image