[bcbirdclub] Summer Tanager, Another Philadelphia Vireo

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 22:53:59 -0400

Hi All,
Though I could hardly believe it, a 5th Philadelphia Vireo showed up in the
yard this morning. That is definitely a record for our yard and for the local
area. I noticed on the VA-Birds listserve that on Kiptopeake Island at a bird
banding station, a record breaking 15 Philadelphias had been banded so far this
fall.

We still have two female Ruby-throated Hummers hanging around our feeders. Is
anyone else still seeing any?

Later in the day this Summer Tanager came down to examine the hummingbird
feeder. It even tried pecking at it. It has also been a good year for this
species.

JPEG image