[bcbirdclub] Sparrow Day at Breaks VA

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 01:51:46 -0400

Hi All,
Twelve birders converged on the house of David and Susan Raines on Saturday,
October 23rd to particpate in their annual Sparrow Day. The day started with
light frost and a temperature of 32 degrees, but Susan had hot coffee and hot
cider to fight the chill, and David had a nice, warm bonfire going, so no one
got cold.
39 species of birds were found for the day including 9 sparrow species
including Junco and Towhee. The highlight of the day was a Lincoln's Sparrow
that was found in David's field, which had been allowed to grow this year to
form excellent sparrow habitat. In previous years the field had been planted in
sorhgum.
After a morning of birding the group had a declicious meal of Santa Fe soup,
sandwiches and various side dishes prepared by Susan with some extras brought
by birders. The food was displayed in a festive atmosphere of fall colors
courtesy of Susan.
After lunch more birding in the surrounding area. It was a perfectly beautiful
fall day, and was made even better by having our good friend, Ed Talbott III
birding with us. Ed now lives in Richmond, KY and does not get to bird with us
as he used to.
Photos of the day can be found at my web site at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/sparrow_day_2010

Ed's photos can be seen at his site at  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/sparrow4

Here is the day's list of species:

39 species