[bcbirdclub] Southern Gap & Keen Mtn. Park

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 15:46:41 +0000

I birded Southern Gap and Keen Mtn. park for a couple of hours this
morning. Both areas were very foggy but I did manage to find some great birds.
One of Southern Gap's first offerings was the Wilsons Snipe pictured below.
It was busily feeding in the short grass next to the Sykes building less than
fifteen yards from my car, giving perhaps, the best view I've had of this
species. Next were dozens of E. Meadowlarks, Palm Warblers, Killdeer, Song and
Savannah Sparrows, one of which, stopped for a photo op (bottom pics).
Hoping Keen Mtn. park may be less foggy, I drove there only to find it
more so. However, there was one bright spot there, when I found a feeder flock
moving through a berry laden Dogwood tree and nearby grapevine. The large
flock included: Yellow-rumped Warblers (first of fall for me), Cedar Waxwings,
Blue-headed Vireo, Hairy Woodpecker, Titmouse, Chickadee and Ruby-crowned
Kinglet et al. Thrushes were well represented within this flock with Wood,
Swainson's, Robin and Bluebird being counted. On the way home, on Big Br. Rd.,
I found an American Kestrel perched on a wire munching on a Katydid. Kestrels,
being one of my favorites, was a good way to end my morning of birding.

Daryl Owens,
Oakwood VA

Sent from my iPhone