[bcbirdclub] Saturday the Big Sit

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:20:08 -0400

Saturday, October 9th is the day of the Big Sit. The Big Sit is where birders
sit in a 17 foot circle and see how many species they can see and hear. It goes
on for 24 hours, but each birder can stay for as long or for as short a time as
he/she wants. We are just planning on doing it for the day. Since no one
suggested another site we decided to have it here at our place. Lynda is going
to make coffee and Santa Fe soup for those who attend. The forecast for
Saturday is beautiful weather with temperatures in the 60's. We will start at
8:00 a.m. but bring a camp chair and come whenever you want and stay as long as
you like. We have not done this before so it should be interesting.

We are still seeing some warblers, thrushes (Gray-cheeked, Wood Thrush and
Swainson's this morning), and grosbeaks passing through. Yesterday we had a
Northern Mockingbird in the stream. We haven't seen one of those here in quite
awhile. We thought the catbirds had gone, but there was one at the stream today
and in the poke berries behind the stream. Brown Thrashers are still here, and
a Ruby-crowned Kinglet was among the many Yellow-rumped Warblers coming to
bathe and drink. A flock of Cedar Waxwings is still hanging around eating the
poke berries and the wild grapes. A flock of bluebirds is also here. One
morning there were nine in the stream at once. Several flickers can still be
seen probing in the yard among the many Chipping Sparrows, and Red-bellied and
Downy Woodpeckers feed at the suet feeder. A juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
was on a locust tree just below the yard pond today. We have also been seeing
ravens passing overhead, and the resident pair of Red-shouldered Hawks are seen
daily high up in the blue calling and playing on the wind.

If there is anyone who needs directions to our place contact me via email and I
will send them to you.

I hope to see you here.