[bcbirdclub] Red-tailed Hawk vs Mallard

  • From: Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Birdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 16:42:14 -0500

I looked out my dining room window this evening 03-03-2015 to find a mature
red-tailed hawk sitting next to my pond eating what appeared to be another
bird. I quickly grabbed my camera but by the time I got set up the hawk took
off. I wasn’t able to get a pic of the hawk but I found the prey beside my
pond. It looked like a bird had exploded in my pond, the entire surface was
covered with feathers. The red-tail had killed a female mallard, I have had 6
mallards coming to my feeders to eat seed that fell to the ground these past
two weeks. I took a couple of photos of the duck, I had to look for its head
but found in at the edge of the pond. I put the pics on my website for anyone
who wishes to see them, but be forewarned if you are squeamish I would pass on
looking. the link is http://www.msandersphotography.com/duck
<http://www.msandersphotography.com/duck> I have personally never seen a
Red-tail kill a bird, but, I guess the mallard wasn’t paying attention and the
hawk had the opportunity to score a meal and took it. I have seen two mature
Red-tails in my yard the past few days so maybe they have been scoping out the
feeders. Anyway I thought I would share this little tidbit of predator vs prey.

Mike Sanders
Bristol, VA