[bcbirdclub] Red-shouldered Hawk and Bird Behavior

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:42:43 -0500

Hi All,
This morning one of our resident Red-shouldered Hawks, like the one in this
photo, flew across the backyard and landed in a tree about 25 ft up and only
about 30 feet from the feeders. At the time there were 12 - 14 Cardinals
feeding at the feeders along with goldfinches, downies, nuthatches and titmice.
Normally when a Cooper's or a Sharp-shinned comes into the yard the birds are
gone instantly. This time only two birds flew away from the feeder. The others
continued to feed very calmly. A Mourning Dove was sitting on the top of the
platform feeder and didn't even bother to move. It was not "frozen" in place as
some birds are when a hawk appears. The hawk sat on the branch for a couple of
minutes before flying to another nearby perch. It sat there for about 15
minutes and the smaller birds never stopped feeding. I have noticed this
behavior before. Even though I have heard of Red-shouldered Hawks killing
birds, I have never seen one of these even make an attempt at the birds in the
area. The smaller passerines seem to understand that this hawk is not a threat
to them. Very interesting behavior.
Anyone have any comment to add?

JPEG image