[bcbirdclub] Re: Red-shouldered Hawk

  • From: "Mathis" <weer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:41:13 -0500

Perfection!

Cecelia Mathis
Sparta, NC

From: roger mayhorn
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:04 PM
To: Buchanan County Bird Club
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Red-shouldered Hawk

This beautiful, adult Red-shouldered Hawk came to perch at the edge of our
backyard today. It wasn't disturbed by my coming and going through the yard. It
is probably one of the pair that has nested here for several years. They can be
heard calling here year round, and during the nesting season they can often be
seen flying over the yard carrying small rodents back to the nest.

During one windy March day I stepped outside just in time to come face to face
with one of these fellows. It was flying across our walk about 5 feet above the
ground. Just as it came directly in front of me a gust of wind forced it to
stop momentarily in the air and just hang there. For a couple of seconds we
just stopped and looked at each other, but long enough for the image of this
striking raptor hanging effortlessly in the air to be burned into my memory;
then the wind died away and the hawk glided slowly across the yard and over
into the neighbor's pasture. What a memory.

JPEG image