[bcbirdclub] Re: Raptors

  • From: Frank Kilgore <jmk@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:34:51 -0400

what about my towhee?

Michelle Talbott wrote:
Today was a great day for raptors at Guesses Fork. I saw an immature Broad-winged Hawk that was calling as it soared above me. Ed and I saw two mature Broad-wings in that area a couple of weeks ago. I also saw a Sharp-shinned Hawk that was molting; it was carrying what looked like an unfortunate bird in its talons. I saw my resident Red-tailed Hawk again, the fifth time in the same 100-yard area. I saw it four of the five times sitting on a low branch beside the trail. Needless to say, I have gotten great looks at this magnificent bird. Other birds included a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Phoebes, numerous Peewees, a Tree Swallow, Field Sparrow, and Indigo Buntings. While studying VERY early this morning, Ed heard a Lousiana Waterthrush singing in our yard. The warbler drew him outside where he also heard a Great Blue Heron calling, and then he saw it flying low over the yard. Michelle