[bcbirdclub] Purple Martin Food

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BC Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 23:48:48 -0400

I spent about an hour during a recent morning watching and photographing the
Purple Martins here as they carried food in to their nestlings. The first
photo attached is of a male martin holding a Red Admiral Butterfly. I hadn't
seen that before. I just never thought about martins eating butterflies
though it seems logical that they would. In the second photo you can see
that their food of choice is dragonflies. Both of these birds are holding
dragonflies, but the female on the right is also holding some other type of
insect. 85 - 90% of the insects the martins brought in were dragonflies.