[bcbirdclub] Preliminary Blackford CBC Results

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCBC Listserve'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 09:27:40 -0500

Preliminary results from the Blackford CBC conducted yesterday, December 31,
2011, indicate that five teams with a total of 16 counters found 67 species
(slightly above the average number of 63 species) with 3205 individual birds
(well below the average of 3922 individuals).  We found record high numbers
of Canada Geese (224), Ring-necked Duck (7), Hooded Merganser (9),
White-crowned Sparrow (148), and House Sparrow (48).  One new species was
added to the list.  Dave Worley found an Indigo Bunting.  For the second
year in a row, no one found a Ruffed Grouse.  The only blackbird we found
was the Eastern Meadowlark (4).  You can find an Excel spreadsheet with all
16 years worth of data including this year's preliminary numbers on the
Russell County Bird Club web site (www.rcbirds.org <http://www.rcbirds.org/>
).  Just follow the CBC Info link.

Jerry

Participate in the 2012 Great Backyard Bird Count!

 <http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/>

JPEG image