[bcbirdclub] Poplar Gap Raptors

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:47:09 -0500

Hello BCBC,

     My family and I were out and about today and decided to ride up to  the
Poplar Gap area to see what kind of raptors might be hanging out up there.  We
were not dissappointed for just as we were pulling in at the Sykes building we
spotted a large raptor being mobbed by several crows.  It was a female or an
immature Northern Harrier.  My eyes are not trained enough to see the
difference but this bird was overall brown above and light underneath and had a
snow-white patch at the base of its tail.  We then proceeded to try and locate
the resident Horned Larks but could not.  Before leaving the Sykes area we were
however pleased to see a flock of 10-12 Eastern Meadowlarks and also an
American Kestrel.

     We then left that area and traveled to the gravel road past the Park
entrance.  There we were very excited to find an adult male Northern Harrier
and also a Rough-legged Hawk.  I assume that these are the same birds that were
located in late December while doing the Breaks CBC.  Then as we were getting
ready to leave I noticed a small falcon aggressively attacking the Rough-legged
Hawk.  I didn't get close enough to make a positive ID but I'm inclined to
believe that it was a Merlin.  I was able to watch the bird, from a distance,
for a few minutes and it didn't behave like a Kestrel.  I flew very fast in
straight lines and did no hovering.  Nor did the bird dive to the ground and
then back to a perch like a hunting Kestrel does.  Still, I wouldn't call it on
its behavior alone.  As we were leaving, Angie pointed out a large raptor in
the distance which turned out to be a Red-tailed Hawk and also we got a good
look at the Rough-legged perched in a tree.  All in all, it was a great couple
of hours of family time and birding.

Daryl