[bcbirdclub] Pileated Woodpecker and more Fox Sparrows. Mercer County.

  • From: "Anna McRae" <annamcrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WV-BIRD" <WV-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:29:22 -0500

While Mother Nature has dumped 5 to 6 inches of new snow on us over night , we
have also received more birds to our feeder areas.  A new grand total of 10 Fox
Sparrows
and male Pileated Woodpecker were at our feeding areas. A gallon of black oil
sunflower
seed with a pint of mixed seed scattered on our concrete patio attracts all
sorts of birds in-
cluding the 10 Fox Sparrows.  The Pileated Woodpecker came to a locust tree
that is
beside a group of hanging feeders including a suet feeder.  After watching him
for about
15 minutes , the phone rang and I left him clinging to the tree. When I
returned he was
gone.  I doubt he ate anything for the current suet feeder is too small and the
suet cakes
probably not to his liking.

Ann McRae
Bluefield, WV--Mercer County