[bcbirdclub] PINE SISKIN - COMPTON MT

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 22:55:01 -0400

After being alerted by Lynda to an unusual bird at the suet feeder this evening
I was really surprised to find this Pine Siskin. These small finches visit us
during the winter but now should be north of the Great Lakes busy with nesting
and raising young. Acording to the Gold Book of Virginia there are only a
handful of summer sightings for the species in the Mountains and Valleys
section of Virginia.

Here are a few photos. By the way, for those concerned I did put out a new
block of suet as soon as I had taken these photos. The birds are eating a block
a day now.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image