[bcbirdclub] Osprey, Gray Catbird, Swallows Russell Co, VA

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

Today Laverne and I did some birding around Russell County, and a little of
Wise County. We saw our first of year Osprey at the Clinch River on the Sugar
Hill Loop Trail. It was being hotly pursued by an accipiter. The accipiter came
by too fast to make a positive ID.
We saw Northern Rough-winged Swallows on Oxbow Lake and heard one Gray Catbird
at
Wetlands Estonoa. We later had another Gray Catbird at Power Plant Road near
Carbo. I also had Tree Swallows at Elk Garden.
Speaking of Swallows on Wednesday I had 50+ Tree Swallows and 10+ Northern
Rough-winged on Clifton Farms Road.

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA