[bcbirdclub] Osceola Island Birds

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:03:08 -0500

Hi All,
On Monday, Jan 28th, Lynda and I drove down to Osceola Island, which is just
below the South Holston Dam in Sullivan County TN. We went there looking for
waterfowl and we weren't disappointed. We found American Wigeon, Bufflehead,
Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, Mallard and Ring-necked Ducks.
Here is a photo of a pair of Buffleheads.(female left, male right) We counted
79 of these little black-and-white ducks that always remind me of wind-up toys.

On the way home we made a brief stop at Sugar Hollow Park just off Exit 7 of I
- 81. According to Don Carrier, it is an excellent birding place during the
nesting season.

JPEG image