[bcbirdclub] Nighthawks and Warblers

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:07:51 -0400

This evening a short while before sunset I was doing some yard work and looked
up to see a small flock (16) of COMMON NIGHTHAWKS feeding over the neighbors
pasture. (attached photo) These are the first ones for me this season.

Earlier in the day I had 34 species in the yard including 6 warbler species - 2
BLACK-THROATED GREENS, 1 CHESTNUT-SIDED, 2 (FOS) MAGNOLIAS, 6 TENNESSEES, 1
WORM-EATING and 1 YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER. Other birds of interest were 1
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, 6 SCARLET TANAGERS in fall plumage, 1 WHITE-EYED VIREO
and 4 RED-EYED VIREOS, 2 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS, 2 PILEATED WOODPECKERS, and 6
INDIGO BUNTINGS.  The complete list follows.

34 species

Black-throated Green Warbler 2f

Chestnut-sided Warbler 1f

Magnolia Warbler 2f (First of the Season)

Tennessee Warbler 6

Worm-eating Warbler 1

Yellow-throated Warbler 1

American Robin 3

Eastern Bluebird 4

Blue Jay 2

Cedar Waxwing 5

House Finch  3 (1m, 2f)

Downy Woodpecker 2 (1m, 1f)

Northern Flicker 1m

Pileated Woodpecker 2 (1f)

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1f

Chipping Sparrow 2

Eastern Towhee 6 (2 ad m, 2 juv m, 2 juv f)

Brown Thrasher 1

Gray Catbird 1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1

Indigo Bunting 6f