[bcbirdclub] Migrants in Breaks

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:49:29 -0400

No birders showed up for my scheduled walk in the Breaks Park yesterday
morning, but the birds came anyway. While waiting around the Visitor's Center I
had a couple of feeder flocks working through the trees. I was able to ID some
good birds including: Blackburnian, Black-th Green, Chestnut-sided, Cape May &
Tennessee Warblers as well as a singing Blue-headed Vireo. Three Northern
Flickers & a Hairy Woodpecker came by & a large accipiter briefly showed itself
above the tree tops.
On my way home from the park I decided to swing by the Old Homeplace & the
Epling/Lockhart Cemetary. I was glad I did as the Dogwoods near the cemetary
were full of birds feeding on the bright red fruit. Swainson's,Gray-cheeked &
Wood Thrush were seen & also several Scarlet Tanagers. Chipping Sparrows were
feeding under the Dogwoods & an Ovenbird was slipping through the weeds nearby.
Bluebirds,Robins,Cardinals,Rose-breasted Grosbeak & a couple of Tennessee
Warblers were found in the weedy tangles that border the pond. A Red-shouldered
Hawk sailed out of the timber & out over the valley.

DaveR/Breaks,VA