[bcbirdclub] Migrants Slowly Increase

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 00:31:11 -0400

Under a cobalt blue sky on a perfect fall day several birds moved through our
area today. The warblers were 5 Tennessees, 1 Chestnut-sided, 1 male Cape May,
3 Blackburnian males, 3 Black-throated Greens and 1 Worm-eating Warbler. We had
both Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos as well as 7 Indigo Buntings and 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.

Three Red-shouldered Hawks were in the sky at one time calling to each other.
It is probably the pair that nested in our woods along with one of their young.
One looked very ragged, probably due to molting.
There were 30 species for the day. The complete list follows these photos.

Male Cape May Warbler

The Chestnut-sided Warbler in the stream

The Ragged Red-shouldered Hawk

Wild Turkey 11

Red-shouldered Hawk 3

Mourning Dove 11