[bcbirdclub] Re: Long-billed Curlew in Breaks, VA

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 15:36:00 -0500

Great bird!!  Congratulations.

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David & Susan Raines
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 3:27 PM
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Long-billed Curlew in Breaks, VA

My friend & neighbor, Ed Bailey, called me this morning & said, " I've got
something different down here. It's got a long bill & long legs and it's not
a Snipe." Boy, he was right! It turned out to be a juvenile Long-billed
Curlew! No kidding! After enjoying a long look, I went home & called Roger &
Lynda Mayhorn to see if they could come to photograph this rare find. I
asked Lynda to notify Ed & Michelle Talbott, which she did. They came to see
the bird & Roger was able to get several photos, which he will post later
today. I'm still amazed about this rare find. It may, in fact, turn out to
be one of the only sightings of this species in the mountains of Virginia.
Ed tells me the bird has been present since Sunday. While Ed & I were trying
to relocate the Curlew we found 3 Am. Pipits in the same hayfield. This is
also a good bird for Buchanan County. Merry Christmas to us! Dave R
-Breaks,VA