[bcbirdclub] Le Conte's Sparrow & more

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 22:15:04 -0400

Fall migration continues to bring good birds through the breaks. I rarely get
to do any birding on Sunday mornings, but cousin Dan was ending his short visit
with us & naturally we birded a little before he hit the road. Although it was
a chilly damp morning the birding was very good. The weedy creek bottom
produced several Palm Warblers & a few Yellow-rumps plus Song Sparrows & 1
White-throated Sparrow.Cardinals & Rose-breasted Grosbeaks worked through the
stands of Giant Ragweed around the place, while Cedar Waxwings & Mockingbirds
quarreled over Dogwood and Poke berries. Suddenly, a little bird hopped up from
the weeds on the creek bank to perch on a low branch of a creek alder. What a
surprise to find a Le Conte's Sparrow about 100ft away from the spot I saw my
first one 2yrs ago. I saw that one 9/27/10. Today's bird was a Life Bird for
Dan. Not bad for a guy with over 500 North American birds on his life list. We
also saw a Northern Waterthrush on the ground under our bird feeder near the
yard pond. The waterthrush seemed to be feeding on something on the ground
under the feeder. The only thing I can think of is the Pond Pellets by Wardley
that I sprinkled into the feeder tray recently. The first few ingredients for
these pellets are dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, wheat middlings,& fish
meal . Must be something there that waterthrushes like. My pond fish don't eat
it well!
Well, with that kind of start, I had to bird a little more after Dan left. Glad
I did. The list for our place today includes: Swamp & Lincoln's Sparrow, Brown
Thrasher, Catbird, House Wren, Blue-headed Vireo, Orange-crowned Warbler,
Common Yellowthroat, Ruby-cr Kinglet, Belted Kingfisher, Sharp-sh Hawk and
Common Raven. A Wood Thrush, several Eastern Bluebirds & Robins had replaced
the waxwings in the Dogwoods when I last checked.
DaveR/Breaks