[bcbirdclub] Le Conte's Sparrow

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:44:02 -0400

While doing some front-porch birding during the drizzle & fog yesterday, I was
amazed to find a LeConte's Sparrow @ the edge of a weedy field in the creek
bottom. This bird "a lifer for me",was very pleasing as it flew to perch on a
bowing weed at the edge of a grassy opening & stayed there for several minutes
showing me all the field marks. What a gift! Lots of other birds were observed
around the place w/the Giant Ragweed & Wingstem busy w/Tenn. Warblers, a House
Wren, Palm Warblers a Blackpoll & Common Yellowthroat. Cedar Waxwings, Scarlet
Tanagers and Rose-br Grosbeaks were easily found in the Cherry trees in the old
fence rows. Catbirds, Brown Thrashers & one Mockingbird munched on Pokeberry &
Dogwood berries While a FOS Swamp Sparrow was found in the garden. ANYWAY A LE
CONTE"S WOW DRaines/Breaks VA